Reader Engines

Source

Manufacturer: E Reader & Sons Ltd.,Phoenix Engine Works, Cremorne Street, Nottingham, England

    References taken from the Working Instructions Booklet of the Reader Engine as issued in 1950 to and obtained from the now closed Nantgarw Coke Works, NCB, Nantgarw, Glamorganshire, South Wales.

    Collection

    There are two Reader steam engines in the collection.

    • Vertical 5x4, No.26585, 1950, Nantgarw Coke Works
    • Vertical 5x4, No.?????, 19??, Essex

    Enclosed vertical 5x4, No.26585, 1950, Nantgarw Coke Works

    Size: 5" steam cylinder with 4" stroke and 24" diameter flywheel; vertical and totally enclosed inverted engine with pressurised lubrication.

    This engine was purchased by Simon Carves Ltd in 1950 for the new Nantgarw coke works, Treforrest South Wales and used for the drive to the benzole rectification plant, where crude benzole was processed into motor spirit. In the early seventies the benzole plant was shut down as the process became uneconomic because supplies of motor spirit from oil refineries became readily available.

    The plant fell into disuse and remained derelict until the coke works closed in 1987. During those intervening years the brass bearings and other non-ferrous fittings were 'removed', leaving the engine incomplete. The engine was purchased as scrap, dismantled and removed from site in 1988 and eventually transferred to Essex.

    Upon further stripping in 1999, the engine was found to be in a poor condition especially the steam control valve and the linkage from the governor, which had been badly damaged during the theft of the components.

    The engine with its base plate, has been partially restored. New bearings and several other major parts will be required.

Enclosed vertical 5x4, No.?????, 19??, Essex

Size: 5" steam cylinder with 4" stroke and 24" diameter flywheel; vertical and totally enclosed inverted engine with pressurised lubrication.

Purchased from an Essex scrap merchant in 2003 and believed to have been originally used to service greenhouses and out buildings at a large country estate in Essex.

The engine has been repainted and runs well on compressed air, but the big end is well worn and noisy.