Joseph Evans & Sons, Pump Makers, Wolverhampton, England.
Catalogue"A" Steam & Air-Operated Pumps, July 1947 Edition issued to and obtained from the now closed Beckton Gas Works, North Thames Gas Board.
These wall mounted donkey pumps are specially designed for boiler feeding. The fly-wheel is placed at the back out of harms way and provision is made for mounting the pump at top and bottom. The connecting rod is of a 2 to 1 steam proportion and is adjusted at either end by a single cotter.
The cast iron barrel and valve boxes are cast integral with the main frame in which are fitted the shaft bearings. Suction and delivery valves are of gunmetal, wing type, operating in gunmetal seats and are accessible through doorways in the main frame. The ram is made of gunmetal screwed to the kite, the crankpin brasses and kite pin brasses are adjustable by means of a single cotter. The delivery pipes can be fitted either side of the pump. A handle can be fitted on the crank pin for hand operation when steam is not available. When these pumps were used with gas liquor, an iron-fitted pump end was provided.
There are two variants the 700 and 702 range. The 700 is a single acting plunger pump and the 702 has a double acting bucket pump arrangement.
|700 Single-Acting||702 Double-Acting|
Gallons / hour
Gallons / hour
There are two Joseph Evans Wall Mounted steam pumps in the collection.
- Single-acting wall 2½x1¼x2½, No.33470, 1945, Salamon's Tar Works
- Double-acting wall 3x1½x3, No.56/53953, 1956, Beckton Gas Works
Single-acting wall 2½x1¼x2½, No.33470, 1945, Salamon's Tar Works
Size: 2½" steam cylinders, 1¼" pumping cylinders with 2½" stroke.
Series: 700 single-acting, iron fitted.
This pump was used to transfer refined tar at Salamon's Tar works at Ferry Lane, Rainham in Essex until closure in the late 1960s.
The pump was originally saved by Jim Newnham, purchased by me in June 2006, restored and successfully run on compressed air in March 2007.
It is occasionally on display at Twyford waterworks near Winchester and runs on air during open days.
Double-acting wall 3x1½x3, No.56/53953, 1956, Beckton Gas Works
Size: 3" steam cylinders,1½" pumping cylinders with 3" stroke.
Series: 702 double-acting, iron fitted.
The pump was originally installed in the foreshore pump house, at Beckton Gas Works and used for pumping refined coal tar. The pump was saved by Jim Newnham, following closure of the works in the late 1960s.
It was purchased in 2006 and has been fully restored. It is occasionally on display at Twyford Waterworks and runs on air during open days.